Career Traineeship is an occupational skills development training model designed to provide flexible training solutions to the identified needs of Irish industry and local businesses. The model can be applied to any subject area or sector.
Objectives of Career Traineeship
- To meet the skill needs of specific sectors and local employers.
- To provide trainees with the opportunity to achieve recognised accreditation and progress their career pathway ambitions within an industry sector.
Key Features of Career Traineeship
- Programmes are full-time.
- Duration is between 6 – 18 months.
- Accreditation is at levels 4 and 5 on the NFQ.
- Programmes are structured around identified career pathways.
- Programmes are demand led – they address the skill needs of a sector.
- Partnership between CETB and industry is central to its success.
Partnership with Industry
Industry is a full partner in a Career Traineeship programme:
- Design: the programme is developed from data compiled through CETB interviews with employers about their skills needs.
- Development: an industry advisory group reviews the programme developed.
- Delivery: work-based learning is a key element of the Career Traineeship programme.
Career Traineeship Structure
Career Traineeship combines directed off-the-job training (classroom-based learning) in a CETB approved college/centre with on-the-job training (work-based learning) in a host company.
Classroom-based and work-based learning phases vary according to sector and location needs.
Work-Based Learning Phase
The Work-Based Learning Phase:
- Takes place under company’s normal operational conditions.
- Facilitates achievement of identified workplace competences.
- Develops trainee competences to industry standard.
Trainees are provided with a Work-Based Learning Plan. This outlines the competences that trainees must demonstrate during their work placement, demonstrating the application of skills, knowledge and attitudes to perform tasks or combinations of tasks to commercial and industrial standards under operational conditions.
For further information on Career Traineeships, please contact:
Mary Lenihan, Industry Liaison Officer, CETB
Career Traineeships are co-funded by the Irish Government and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF Programme for Employability Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020